Access Statement for Anstey Mills Cottages
The following information is designed to make sure that Anstey Mills Cottages meet your requirements.
Our two self-catering cottages are renovated barns, situated in a farmstead, which is now a non-working farm. One is the end part of a Devon Longhouse (dating back to 1500-1600 in parts), adjoining the owner’s home. The other is a thatched cottage within several meters distance of the main house. Further there is a big barn with roundhouse and courtyard, which are not developed. Both self-catering units have access to the front and rear of the property; have their own private garden and parking spaces.
We have tried to provide as much information as possible in this statement. If you have any queries please do call. We look forward to welcoming you.
- Our website www.ansteymillscottagedevon.co.uk gives you lots of information about the cottages and the area
- Bookings / enquiries can be made via email, fax, phone, SMS and there is an online booking facility
- We provide a detailed map and description leaflet for our visitors, via post or e-mail (pdf).
- The nearest bus stop is about 4 miles in Dulverton. There is not a very comprehensive bus system for this area in place, but we are happy to help if possible.
- The nearest train station (Tiverton Parkway) is 22 miles away; there are accessible taxis at the station.
- You can order your shopping online via Tesco, Sainsburies, Waitrose or Riverford, by using our postcode (TA22 9RZ) to be delivered to your door.
Upon arrival at East Liscombe Farm, you will come down a quarter of a mile unmetalled driveway and encounter a number of “sleeping policemen”. These have been put in as a flood defence and they very neatly divert the run off water into the adjacent field, thus trying to keep the potholes at a minimum. The lane is a single track with two passing places.
On reaching the buildings, the drive divides. To the left you pass the long wall of our yard and you will see the farm house itself straight ahead. If you turn left then, going along the building, you reach Anstey Mills Cottage, end of the Devon Longhouse. To the right you pass through the yard along the big barn and reach our Thatched Cottage, beyond.
You are welcome to park outside each cottage or in the yard. Please walk over to the main house to let us know you have arrived. Our door has a Lion head doorknocker. Once you have unloaded, take care that you don’t park in front of the field access, as the bridle way goes right through our farm.
Anstey Mills Cottage is accessed over a higher than standard threshold. Once inside, you enter into the hall, which leads into either a utility room and further into a toilet/shower room or into the kitchen. You can access the kitchen as well directly from outside up three steps. From there you have an open doorway into the living room. All these downstairs rooms are on one level.
One flight of stairs brings you to the first floor, where a landing leads to an outside door and via a small bridge into the large sloping garden with garden furniture. To the left you have one step into the main en-suite bedroom, which is spacious with king size bed. The small bathroom has a toilet and shower over the bath. To the right of the landing, again up one step, you reach bedroom number two with two single beds, which can be made into one large 6’ bed. Then you have the main bathroom with again a shower over the bath, a bidet and a toilet. Bedroom number three is at the end with a double bed and a futon, which allows perhaps an extra child to sleep there.
Anstey Mills Thatched Cottage is accessed over a higher than standard threshold right into the small kitchen. From here you have four steps to the living/dining room. This area can be divided from the hallway by a curtain, but otherwise the whole cottage is open plan. Turning left from the kitchen steps you see a flight of stairs leading up to the galleried bedroom. Next to it a small passage brings you to a second entrance, down one step, and the spacious bathroom with whirlpool bath.
Upstairs you have most of the floor taken up by the bedroom: a low level (about 45cm with the mattress) king size bed and two single futon chairs, that double up as beds for children…but there is also one toilet and one small shower room. An outside door leads to a large private decking area with table and chairs overlooking the garden and adjacent fields. A second sitting area with bench and table is at the front of the property up a cobbled stone path from the main entrance.
The whole site is nestled into the side of a hill, so although some of the land is level, steeper gradients are inevitable when accessing the gardens.
- Both cottages are non smoking.
- Both cottages are fully fitted with hardwire smoke detectors and emergency lighting.
- Mobile phone reception is difficult due to our position and the thick walls of the properties. F.ex.: O2 and Vodaphone might get a signal outside, Orange will need to be accessed from top of the lane.
- WiFi is equally temperamental; we are working at improving this.
- We welcome pets by arrangement.
Telephone: 01398 341329
Fax: 0709 2386955
Hours of operation: Phones – 9.00am -9.30pm all week
Map coordinates: OS: SS88.0/27.7
As you need to find the top of our lane your Satnav might be more accurate with : Latitude:51.033375° Longitude:-3.601724°